I recently picked up an Instant Pot pressure cooker per my sister's recommendation. I didn't really get a chance to try it out till recently though, I've gotta say it's really great!
I ended up getting sick since we got hit by a bit of a cold front, so I was really craving some chicken and rice. I figured I'd take advantage of my instant pot and I found this great recipe here
I initially used 2 cups of chicken broth and ~1 cup for deglazing. I did this because I was worried the larger instant pot would cause the liquid to be too low and burn. That's why it ended up being a bit mushy. I definitely overcompensated and will try again with less broth.
Even though it came out a bit mushy, I really liked the flavor. It's simple, warm, and tasty. It's a simple dish that is really easy to make. Eating it I just wished for a bit more diversity in flavor, but that's kind of hard to do with a 1 pot meal.
I'll probably make it again and see what I can improve upon!
- 1 pound of skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 3 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups of chicken broth and 1/2 cup for deglazing (1.5 and 1/3 for the 6 quart)
- 1.5 cups of rice (rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 3 small shallots
- Set the Instant Pot to saute
- Add a bit of oil and wait for the oil to heat up (about 1.5 minutes)
- Add your chicken thighs to the pan (spread them out evenly)
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, (red pepper flakes) and let it cook undisturbed for 5 minutes
- Flip the chicken and season again and wait about 3 minutes this time
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside on a plate
- Add 1/2 a cup of chicken broth to the pot and scrape off the bottom so nothing is sticking
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, and shallots and let it cook for 2 minutes
- Add the garlic and wait about a minute
- Add the rice and mix it up a bit
- Place the chicken thighs evenly on top of this mixture
- Turn off the saute mode and switch to the manual option.
- Set the cook time for ~10 minutes and wait for your delicious meal
- Wait for the pot to depressure and then shred the chicken with a fork and mix the entire pot
- Serve and enjoy!